Friday, September 26, 2008

This Week's Haul: WHAT are you DOING Dakota??!!

Hello All!

Sorry I have been a little absent this week. It's been a busy week, what with school, work, NHL exhibition games, an Elton John concert, and Lego Batman.

PLUS the excitement of my band's CD hitting #8 during its second week on the national campus charts! For those of you who are interested in checking out The Stolen Minks, you can listen to some tracks here, including some from our new album, High Kicks!

And now some quick comic reviews, on a thankfully light week for new releases.

Daredevil #111

No Dakota! Don't do it! Don't sleep with Daredevil even though he's all shirtless and helpful and sexy and...aw dammit.

Sorry Dakota. But you have now destroyed your life.

Also in this issue: a sexy new villainess! And the beginning of what looks like a pretty awesome storyline!



Captain America #42

I love when a Brubaker double-header happens like this and we get Captain America and Daredevil on the same week. Unlike Daredevil, Captain America wraps up a long story arc with a relatively happy ending. And by happy, I mean Bucky is snuggling with Black Widow. That makes ME happy, anyway.





Ambush Bug #3

Man that's a great cover.

I don't believe I've taken the opportunity on this blog yet to express how happy I am that there is a new Ambush Bug series. It's been great, too. There have been some weird little things like colouring errors, maybe because it's being rushed to press, but overall its been fun. Right now is a great time to be poking fun at the DCU.



Superman #680

Man, when did Superman turn into such a whiny prick? He really lays it on thick when he meets Zatara. Like, Superdickery aside, Superman is not typically this big of an asshole. He sounds like Green Arrow or someone:


Zorro #7

I am posting both covers because every month Zorro is released with at LEAST two amazing covers. There's always a Matt Wagner one (on the right), and this month there was a beautiful Ryan Sook variant (on the left).

PLUS Francesco Francavilla art inside! All around, Zorro is one of the most beautiful comics being published right now. And it's a great read too. I don't get the impression that it's a big seller, but I can't recommend it highly enough.

And speaking of Francesco Francavilla being awesome, you should check out the art on his website, especially the commissions page. Damn...that's some nice stuff. Look at this Rocketeer!!

Whoever commissioned that one WINS.

Blue Beetle #31

Is this gonna be canceled? Because I am going to be really sad if it is. I'm worried about it. Usually if I like something enough it gets canceled. And I don't know if a guest appearance by Doctor Mid-Nite is enough of an incentive to get people to pick it up. Besides me, of course.

In this issue Blue Beetle starts his fight against anti-immigration laws. It was only a matter of time, I suppose.

4 comments:

SallyP said...

Man, sleeping with Daredevil is just about as bad as kissing Kyle Rayner. It NEVER ends well for the woman. Although it is nice to hear that Bucky is getting some.

Superman was a bit on the cranky side. On the other hand, Krypto was fabulous! And I have to admit that Zatarra sounds a lot like the Shade, and that can't be a bad thing.

I accidentally picked up the last issue of Zorro instead of the new one, because I'm an idiot. Curses!

I loved Blue Beetle, although I do wish they would bring back Albuquerque for the art. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Mrs. Reyes is AWESOME! And so is Dr. Midnite.

Skeleton Munroe said...

If I hadn't already been buying this, then Dr. Mid-Nite would have convinced me to. He and Hour Man are so Golden Age dreamy...

Will said...

I think the idea with Superman is that Robinson is writing him as a person, instead of as Space Jesus. So he bickers a bit with his wife, he gets cranky when people beat the crap out of him, and you had darn sure better love his dog.

Love the blog, always like your perspective on the haul.

johannak photography said...

This was great to read