Monday, February 05, 2007

Grant Morrison 1, Jeph Loeb 0

I really didn't want to dis Jeph Loeb again so soon. But seriously, this is me going easy on Wolverine #50.


What does Jeph Loeb have against Canada? We only have one good Canadian hero, and he wants to make him act all American. Sure some mysterious Canadian bad guys did some terrible things to Logan, but terrible things are done to all heroes, usually by Americans. They don't hate America because of it. One Canadian dig is fine. Sure. On a cold day I might casually renounce my citizenship too. But page after page after page?!

Grant Morrison rules. He does Canada proud with his Wolverine:

Yeah, that's right. Correcting the asshole. A little patriotism before a fight? Not bad.

Or maybe the Canadian government sits around thinking up stupid things for Wolverine to say in battle (??!!), as suggested by this (agonizingly cute) Loeb page:

Oh, chill, Wolverine. I would argue that you were saying things that were far more ridiculous in the first half of this very comic book. But you looked pretty while you said them, thanks to Simone Bianchi's snazzy artwork.

14 comments:

ryan muir said...

I think the dialog in the backup story was mostly based off the original dialog in the original introduction of Wolverine. the internal monolog was new though (or is that what you were talking about). Anyway, Canada rocks!

Super Edco said...

We are on the same page here, I've a similar disappointment posted...

When Good Comics Go Bad: Wolverine #50

Anonymous said...

What the hell is all THAT about?!?!

Damn it, that just won't do.

rachelle said...

We should give Wolverine the Order of Canada.

Anonymous said...

Poor Wolverine.
Why do so many writers seem to have such a desire to make him a thoroughly unlikeable and idiotic character?
He's got such potential, and I really want to like him, but it seems like every other writer is determined to make me hate him.

*sigh*

Anonymous said...

I am so sick of the idea that "only" Americans can be patriotic! Does Loeb think all Canadians are self loathing? Poor, poor, Wolverine being forced to say and think things that douchebag Loeb thinks. The only reason I'm buying this book is because of my interest in the Wolverine/Sabretooth relationship, it sure as hell isnt for the writting!

zc said...

Why couldn't've Marvel let Grant Morrison write Wolverine as well as X-Men?

We may have even avoided all this stupid Daniel Way Origin crap.

Anonymous said...

That was the one good thing about Wolverine. Every body else got the sucky heroes and we got the only one who mattered.

Until he starts self loathing that is...

chrishaley said...

Like a lot of people I'm sure, I came by your blog due to your Supergirl post.
Since we're both 1980 Virgos (sp?) I have to ask when your birthday is.
Also, since you're from Halifax, are you a big Sloan fan?

chrishaley

rachelle said...

Hi there, Memphis!

My birthday is Sept 2. Same as Keanu Reeves.

I enjoy Sloan. Maybe not as much as I used to, but certainly with a quiet pride and respect shared by most Halifax musicians. I'll always have a place in my heart for those boys.

chrishaley said...

Mine's Sept 17. Same as Bryan Singer.

Last month I went over 800 miles to see Sloan. I guess I would have to say I like them a lot.

Also, you may have to be my official internet comics friend. I'm not sure yet, but you're definitely in the running.

alienvoord said...

Grant Morrison should write everything.

Anonymous said...

snikt snikt bub snikt bub bub snikt

www.muebles-en-valdemoro.com said...

Wow, there is so much effective info above!