Thursday, May 10, 2007

This Week's Haul: I'm Already Confused.

It was a very light week for me, which is good after the mountain of comics I had to get through last week. Plus it gave me time and money to pick up the new Y: The Last Man trade. Next week looks like it's going to be another big week.

I tried to get caught up with Green Lantern Corps and Iron Fist before this week, but I wasn't able to. Next time.

Countdown #51

Flip cover! Whee! Look at all those characters!

So, this is confusing. I am glad this is weekly because I need this thing to unravel very slowly so I can follow it. Basically, and correct me if I'm wrong, I think all we are supposed to know so far is that there is a megaverse with 52 parallel universes. There are some characters that are anomalies and are jumping from one Earth to the next, and the Monitor bros. want to kill those characters. Or, at least, one Monitor brother does.

Anyway, the Joker's Daughter is one of those anomalies, so she is killed.

And that's the death that kicks off the Countdown, I guess. Not very significant, but I think that's the point. Now we're going to see how the death of one seemingly insignificant character ripples across the megaverse and affects every character in it. Am I right so far?

Also, Jason Todd is a decent guy now. But...is this all on our Earth? This is where the Multiverse stuff starts to lose me. I guess that she is from another Earth, and is on Earth One illegally. Or whatever. I was five when Crisis on Infinite Earths came out so forgive me for being unfamiliar with this whole multiple Earths thing. I would recommend Andrew Hickey's Countdown Blog.

One non-confusing scene that I enjoyed was this one, where the Flash rogues gallery was getting together for a little party:

And the ending of this issue was pretty awesome:

It's going to be interesting...

Green Arrow #74

Only one more issue of this to go! Awww.

I hope you guys like Green Arrow and Black Canary doing it, because that's all this issue was.

It was weird.

Also, they apparently stayed in GA's bedroom for over 40 hours. Only breaking so that Oliver could ask his adopted daughter to bring him some chili.

Ok, eating chili while having sex? That's gross. I will remember this when I rate you as a super-hunk, Oliver.

Dinah finds out more about Oliver's supposed year of celibacy:

Y'know, I really wanted these two to get back together, but now that they are...I'm kinda grossed out.

There are some fun fight scenes in this issue, too:

Boxing glove arrow!

Plus, it was nice to see the gang all together.

Aw, they're like the Ninja Turtles.

The Amazing Spider-Man #540

Well, the cover is nice.

I wanted to give Spidey another shot, because it is pretty much the most popular series going, and I get a lot of questions about it in the shop. I feel like I should make an effort to follow it. So I gave this a quick read and, well...wake me when Straczynski is done writing.

Like, I already read Batman. I don't need Spider-Man to be Batman. Even Batman isn't being that Batmanish these days. Plus, who is that guy?! It doesn't look like Peter Parker. At all.

Thank God a fun Spider-Man comic also came out this week.

Spider-Man and The Fantastic Four #2

This book is so funny. I love it. Basically, these alien things are taking over the bodies of various humans on Earth, but seemingly only those who have normal DNA. Thus, Spidey and the FF are spared. A lot of heroes are now hosts to the alien parasites, though, and the leeching is making them sub-par heroes. Check out Doctor Strange:
Yeah. He does card tricks now.

Spidey and Johnny poke around to find out how various Super-Heroes are doing and report back to Reed:

"Daredevil's all bumping into things" is a hilarious line.

Reed's got to take off to fix stuff, so he makes Spider-Man the honorary fourth member of the team in his absence:

Hee! Lockjaw.

Betty & Veronica Double Digest #151

A historic moment, people. The day Archie comics got really creepy-looking.

This is part one of a four-part story that will be continued over the next three digests. It only takes up the first 25 pages or so of the book, and the rest is classic-looking Archie stuff. I hope we'll see more of the gang drawn in this realistic style over the next few issues. I really want to see Jughead.

So, they are trying two new things here: a new art style and a continued story. I say go for it. They aren't doing away with the old style, and I think they could make a spin-off comic using this new design. Although, the art is pretty bad. Not just because it's a creepy new look, but because it's not very good art. The girls do look like teenagers, though. Probably more so than in the old comics. But they are totally anorexic (with giant boobs). You can read the first few pages of the comic here. And while you're there, might I suggest the Jughead's Fashions virtual paper doll? He's surprisingly ripped with no clothes on.

Anyway, if you don't like the fancy new story, you can always skip to the old-style stuff, where you get lots of awesome panels like these:

Hot Mr Lodge Shower scene!

Grifter/Midnighter #3

I know I'm the only person on Earth reading this series, but it really is pretty good. I'm going to keep saying that until it proves me wrong. It looks great, the writing is decent, the story is fun, it comes out on time...no complaints at all. Of course, when you aren't expecting anything out of a series, any amount of quality comes as a pleasant surprise. But, seriously. It's good. Midnighter gets his ass kicked in this issue, and that's not something you see everyday. Grifter has to re-set Midnighter's jaw! And then Midnighter punches him!

Again, I still don't know anything about Grifter, but he's easy on the eyes and shoots people. That's all I need to know, really.

8 comments:

zc said...

Regarding Countdown:

The whole thing takes place on New Earth (the one formed in INfinite Crisis), which is different from Earth One, which we haven't seen (I know, confusing). Basically, there's New Earth, and Earths 1-51.

I dunno what the deal is with Joker's Daughter, which I think is part of the point. You can see this in Identity Crisis a bit (it's discussed by some people)--no one really knows who she is or where she's from. I mean, her name is Duela Dent but she calls herself the Joker's Daughter. So, again, I think the confusion is part of the point.



Also: those last few pages at the New Earth Source Wall were awesome.

rachelle said...

New Earth. Right.

Oh man. I hope there isn't going to be an exam at the end of all this.

Captain Infinity said...

Okay, that middle panel of Mr. Lodge is creepin' me out. He's in the shower, weird expression...

Put your hands where we can see them, sir!

Caleb said...

zc,

But "New Earth" is basicall Post-Crisis Earth altered, which was basically Earth-1 with four other Earths folded into it, right? Damn you DC, why must you make this so hard for us slow kids!

Skeleton Munroe said...

I hope that Mr Fantastic really does pull that same solemn ceremony every time he has to go out of town.

That'd be a great running gag.

"Who's a good boy, Lockjaw? Who's a good fourth member? Does he want a moon-biscuit? Does hims want a belly rub? Does hims want to give Mole Man the business? Yes hims does! Give Mole Man the business, boy! Give him the business!"

SallyP said...

Countdown was ok, I must admit that I LOVE the cover. Frankly, I thought that Ollie and Dinah rutting like weasels through the entire book was hilarious...and completely gratuitous.

I didn't read Spiderman/Fantastic Four, but the one-liners were a hoot, so I guess I'll have to go out and pick it up. Dr. Strange doing card tricks just makes me giggle uncontrollably.

Oh, and Green Lantern Corps is REALLY good!

Anonymous said...

Re: Countdown... I've gotta say, I'm mostly weirded out by the death shot of Joker's Daughter. It mostly looks like she's dancing, not dying.

Weeeird.

Ben said...

The Jughead fashion doll is neat, but I'm really weirded out by Flutesnoot's Comic of the Month. For a lot of reasons.